I wish I could say that I have had a fascination with the moon since I was a little girl. Truth is, I have spent nearly all nights before I discovered Paganism and many a night afterwards being completely unaware which moon phase we were in. I have had periods in which I followed the phases of the moon religiously but, although I have seen some beautiful faces of the moon, it is too far away from me to include in my daily practice.

When I still practiced Neo-Wicca and Eclectic Religious Witchcraft, the only phase of the moon I felt any connection to was the new moon. The absence of the moon always struck me as far more magickal and miraculous than a moon that was full. I think the fact that I associated Hekate with the new moon even then, helped a lot. Selene, as the Hellenic personification of the moon, never spoke to me too much and it is She, along with Artemis, who get revered most at the full moon. 

Now I'm on my way with Hellenismos, I have taken a renewed interest in the moon and her phases, not so much as a Deity but as guideline for my calendar. For the ancient Hellens, the new month started with the first sighting of the new moon, with Hekate's Deipnon being celebrated the day after the moon was new, Noumenia being celebrated the day after the first sliver of the moon has been sighted and Agathós Daímōn celebrated the day after. The days after that were marked by the birthdays of the Olympic Gods who, indeed, had one every month.

The moon was a a major influence in the monthly schedule of the ancient Hellens and, because I am keeping an eye out for the new moon, I've also become more aware of the other phases of the moon. The following table, taken from Wikipedia, shows the influence of the moon on the (Attic) Hellenic calendar even clearer:


This whole thing is a bit of a mess but important to note is that the new moon drove the calendar, the full moon hardly measured into it (as it never received a special name and was found around the 14th or 15th middle) and the days of the month were largely identified by the waxing (rising) or waning of the moon.

So, the moon has yet again found its way into my practice, although it's a lot different from the esbats of Neo-Wicca. Do you recognize the moon in your practice? And if so, how?