Today, I'm posting a mix-tape for Hermes. This idea is not mine; it's a combination of a wonderful idea by Sannion and Hellenion's monthly libation schedule. Hellenion is a Hellenic organization from America and I've been using their wonderful calender and the great store of information they have gathered to start my own practice. Every month, Hellenion members pour a libation to a different Hellenic God or Goddess. This month, it's Hermes' turn. To make the day more special, I have created a mix-tape of songs which either describe or would speak to Hermes.

Hermes has so many aspects to His worship. He started out as a fertility God but soon transformed into an inventor, a thief, a joker, a messenger, an athlete, a trader and a protector of travelers and gamblers. Fitting all that into five songs is just about impossible so I took only a few of his epithets into account for his mix-tape.

Owl City - To The Sky

This is the Hermes I relate to most. In my Olympus Tarot, Hermes is the Chariot and the image used for that relates so beautifully to this song, I had to include it. It's the freedom of flight, the joy of amoral life, the blessings of youth. 

Blonde Redhead - Messenger

First off; here are the lyrics; the song is pretty incomprehensible. Hermes is a messenger of the Gods as well as, on occasion, of mortals. He also helps souls cross to the Underworld. More about that below. Hermes is also a lover; loving, lusting after and sleeping with his fair share of women, nymphs and Goddesses. I often envisioning him heading towards or from dalliance with one of his many lovers.

As a messenger you must be known / With messages you must return / To be seen by demanding hands / And touches of jealous men / Invisible and forgivable / To all their secret adds

How can I keep anything to myself / Behind those clouds / I'm almost home

ACDC - Highway To Hell

This one might be a bit lame and disrespecful but really, envision Hermes in these lyrics and I need not say more, do I? Yet, I will, because Hermes' role as a psychopomp is not know to many Pagans. In his epithet of Hermes Psykhopompos, Hermes guides the souls of the deceased to the Underworld, and as such, Hermes is one of the very few Deities who can enter and leave Hades at will. Messages to and from the Underworld are therefor a very important part of Hermes' messenger duty.

The Opposites - Slapeloze Nachten

This is a Dutch song, sorry about that, but the song isn't difficult. It's about the singer who can't fall asleep as he's thinking too much about the next day. Hermes, as a messenger, is also the bringer of dreams which were created by Zeus. He's therefor also associated with sleep. With Hermes involved, the singer of The Opposites won't be awake much longer.

Dar Williams - You Will Ride With Me Tonight

I adore Dar Williams. I used one of her songs for Athena's mix-tape as well. This song is from her newest album; In the Time of Gods and was written especially with Hermes in mind. Listen to it and then listen to it three more times. Let the spirit of Hermes flow through you. I will be eternally grateful to Dar for this entire album.