I live with an artist--and by that, I mean someone who went through art school and although it's not what pays the bills right now, because she's aiming for museums, not gallery sales, she slaves away at her art in her studio, hoping for one day--and since we got together a little over nine years ago, I have been exposed to a lot of art. Funny how the universe works out, because as a teen, I found myself desperately wanting to lean more about art. I just never found out how. As it turns out, all it takes is falling in love. At any rate, I have learned one very important thing from my artist girlfriend, namely that it doesn't matter if art is pretty or not. Art is not supposed to be pretty. Art is supposed to move you, it's supposed to reach inside your chest and twist your heart. It's supposed to enter your brain and worm itself inside of it, refusing to ever leave. I like art that is pretty, but most of my favourite pieces are things I wish I'd never have to look at again--and I still look, as often as I can stand it.


I found a collection of modern interpretations of the Gods, currently on display in Modern Eden, a San Francisco based art gallery focussing on illustrative works ranging anywhere from Realism to Surrealism. Until July fifth, art enthusiasts can take a gander at the reimagining of the ancient Hellenic Gods, if they so please.

I took a look at the works in the showing, and I dislike all of them, to be honest. I don't think they're pretty at all, and most have a level of Surrealism I dislike very much (of all the art styles that have come into fruition over the years, Surrealism is by far my least favourite). I am still sharing some of the works, however, because they moved me. they did that thing to me where they are stuck inside my head and heart, and make my stomach uncomfortable. I want to remember I saw there, and that's why you are seeing these as well. From the invitation:

"Modern Eden Gallery is pleased to announce OLYMPUS: Contemporary Portraits of the Ancient Gods, the 3rd annual portrait invitational curated by Bradley Platz. Twenty top contemporary artists have been hand selected for this exhibition. Each artist has chosen a god or goddess from among the Greek Olympians to portray. The epic nature of the subjects are demonstrated through the large scale works of art that range up to 7 feet tall. OLYMPUS will be our most ambitious portrait exhibition to date, in scale and subject matter."

EROS - Rebecca Léveillé-Guay
 
PERSEPHONE - Adam Caldwell
 
ASKLEPIOS - Carrie Ann Baade
(The Healer and the Pharmakon)