It has been twenty-four hours since I heard the news. Twenty-four hours and it's still not sunk in. I am shocked. I am terrified. I am saddened by the level of fear that is prevalent in our society. America cast its vote as a plea for safety, stability and a shot at a better life. I understand that. I also know, though, that the coming years will be hard to every single person in the US that I know and love. POC friends, LGBT friends, non-Christian friends. I can't even imagine how they are feeling even though I talked with them all day yesterday, reaching out to make sure they all knew how loved and appreciated they are--an that there is support for them. I'm reaching out to everyone who needs it, to everyone who is scared, angry and/or still reeling. This too shall pass, eventually. Stay strong until then. May the Theoi blanket you all in safety and love.

I have some ancient words of wisdom for Trump, as spoken by Solon of Athens. Solon (Σόλων) was an Athenian statesman, lawmaker, and poet, who lived from 638 BC to 558 BC. He spent most of his adult life trying to legislate against political, economic, and moral decline in archaic Athens. His ideologies are often credited with having laid the foundations for Athenian democracy. As a statesman, Solon put principles before expediency. In a time when Athens was struggling under the burden of civil war, his reforms strove to bridge the gap between the rich an the poor. Solon's reforms created a system where the power was in the hands of the people, if they were willing to work hard for it.  For those without political aspirations, Solon's reforms provided judicial safety and a sense of power.

"Good government makes everything well ordered and fit,
 And at the same time it throws shackles on the unjust.
 It levels out the rough, stops insolence, and weakens arrogance.
 It causes the growing blossoms of blindness to wither.
 It straightens crooked judgments and it levels out over-reaching deeds.
 It stops the acts of civil conflict and
 It stops the anger of grievous strife and because of it
 Everything among men is wisely and appropriately done."
[Solon, fr. 4.32-39]