Two days ago, I drove down the highway in busy traffic. It was a two-lane road, 80 mp/h (130 km/h) speed limit--which we were all more or less driving--and pretty decent weather. It was the last leg of an hour long drive and I'd gotten to the point of singing along to the radio loudly while minding the world around me leisurely.

Then the driver of the car in front of me drove straight into the back of the truck in front of him and all hell broke loose. Everyone swerved, hot the brakes or otherwise tried to avoid the spinning vehicle. I don't quite remember how, but I ended up in the grass by the side of the road. I managed to avoid the spinning car (by inches, probably) and whoever was driving behind me, managed to avoid me too.

I was okay.

Thankfully, the driver of the crashed car was all right too. Shaken, sure, and angry but okay. Not a scratch on him. His car was beyond repair, though, and the truck was minus a taillight and a piece of its rear bumper.

We got the car off the road and cleaned up the debris that had spun off every whichaway. Cars slowly passed us, then sped up as both lanes became available again. Eventually, I left the driver to call a tow.


You can be sure I thanked (all Gods but especially) Hermes and Hekate as guardians of travelers that night and yesterday morning! I could have hit that car full-on, I could have smashed into the guardrail if there had been one, the driver could have been dead, we could have been hit standing on the side of the road.

We were all okay.

Thank the Gods!